Sunday, August 25, 2013

Ararat / Urartu



24"x20", oil on linen (2013)
"Torch-bearing Armenian King Sardur II (ruled 764-735 BCE) signals his troops to march forward."  This title was given to the painting by Armenologist and Historian, Gevork Nazaryan.

I have been interested in painting Armenian kingdom of Ararat/Urartu ever since Soviet Armenia celebrated 2750th anniversary of the city of Yerevan in 1968.  I was there at the time and painted "King Argishti Entering the Temple of God Teishebaini", which was exhibited in the show organized by the Artists Union of Armenia.  The painting received positive response from the press and was bought from the show by Ministry of Culture of Armenia.  My interest in painting on the theme of Urartu/Ararat continued and I’ve painted more paintings since arriving in the U.S., which are now in private collections. Unfortunately, I don't have access to all of them to post them here.

These paintings are from my recent work.


"Urartian Woman Milling Flour by Hand with Quern Stone", 24"x18", oil on linen (2013)


"Lady of Urartu", 24"x36", handmade alkyd paint on linen (2005)
"Urartian Sculptor", 16"x20", oil on linen (2003)