Saturday, August 10, 2013

Last Battle of Queen Pharandzem




"Last Battle of Queen Pharandzem", 32"x44", oil on linen (2013)
[Copyright Rubik Kocharian.  All rights reserved.
Repost or copy only with full credit to the artist and without modification.]
Some time ago, Ani Hayaserian posted on her site my painting "Girl with Shield" and called it "Queen Pharandzem". She noted that there was no painting by an Armenian artist of Queen Pharandzem, and so I decided to paint the Queen. I gathered as much information as I could find and began sketching the composition directly on the canvas, as I always do.  As the painting was advancing, I needed more information about this subject matter. Fortunately, I was communicating with a friend in Armenia who lives in Armavir and has wealth of knowledge of Armenian history, Surik Asmaryan.  He gave me valuable information on the historical details of this queen and answered my questions about the fortress, etc. that I needed for advancing the composition.

Pharandzem bravely defended Armenia at the fortress of Artogerassa for 14 months from invading Persian forces in the 4th century.  Regrettably, there were not any more powerful Armenian Gods and Goddesses to help the Queen to win her battle against her enemies.

My sincere thanks to Surik and Ani.